This project focuses on interviewing local people about their memories and reminiscences of Callander, with a specific emphasis on the magnificent surrounding landscape in which they have lived, worked, and enjoyed. Volunteers will trained by the University of Strathclyde to undertake and record many of the interviews, alongside the Callander Heritage Society.
Aims & Objectives
This project will:
- Interview local people to preserve their memories about their life in and around Callander;
- Provide training in oral history techniques for volunteers, delivered by the University of Strathclyde;
- Make the recordings publicly accessible online;
- Preserve memories that are in danger of being lost.
- In September 2019, we began interviews with local people in Callander.
- In November 2019, a training course for our team of volunteers was delivered in Callander by the Scottish Oral History Centre (University of Strathclyde).
- In March 2020, face to face interviews were suspended due to Covid-19 restrictions.
- In June 2020, we held an online review session for our volunteers with the Scottish Oral History Centre; looking at how to conduct oral history interviews remotely.
- We are still looking to record interviews with people who have lived and/or worked in Callander. If you would be interested in recording your memories with us, please get in touch with Ross at email@example.com or 01389 727798.
- We have already recruited our team of volunteer interviewers for this project, but if you’re interested in helping with research or transcriptions, please get in touch. Visit our volunteering page to find out more about this role.
Partners include the National Lottery Heritage Fund Scotland, the Callander Heritage Society. and the Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park Authority.
News & blog
More about this examination of life around Callander in the 20th Century Last
Lives and life around Callander in the 20th Century We are involved in
As part of Callander’s Landscape, the Callander Heritage Society is running an oral history project focused on capturing the memories of people in Callander and how their lives have been shaped by the landscape around them.