Our dark skies project aims to add an extra dimension to Callander’s visitor offer. With good quality darkness within easy reach of the town centre and clear night skies during the winter months; our project will designate a Dark Sky Discovery Site that will connect people with the wonders of the universe.
Aims & Objectives
This project will:
- Provide volunteer opportunities to help survey the night sky at key locations in and around Callander
- Identify the best places for viewing the night sky, using the Dark Skies Discovery Site criteria
- Encourage people to embrace the cold and dark of the winter months in order to explore the night sky
- Host a number of events and activities for residents and visitors to learn more about the night sky
- The project kicked off with an evening of stargazing at McLaren Leisure Centre in November 2018 which was attended by over 240 people.
- In 2019 two training evenings were held for volunteers to learn how to measure the quality of the Callander night sky. We currently have a team of volunteers undertaking the night sky audit over the winter months. Please visit the volunteering page for more information.
- Thanks to funding from the Institute of Physics Scotland there will be more exciting public events happening later in 2020.
Partners include U3A Callander and West Perthshire Astronomy Group, Stirling Astronomical Society and the Core Callander Landscape Partnership Team. The project is funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Stirling Council’s Community Pride Fund and the Institute of Physics Scotland.
News & blog
On Saturday 17th November we hosted our first big Callander’s Landscape event as
As part of Callander’s Landscape Dark Skies project, we are looking for volunteers to help us audit the night sky in the New Year. We want to identify and
map where the best and most accessible places are for observing the night sky in and around Callander.
Full training will be provided and individuals, families, or groups are all welcome to get involved. If you’re interested in finding out more about this
opportunity, please email Julie on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01389 727 723