Trowels at the ready! You can now register your interest in volunteering in an archaeological excavation at Dunmore Hillfort!
As part of our Archaeology project in partnership with the Callander Heritage Society, from Friday 18th June to Monday 21st June there will be an excavation at Dunmore Hillfort led by AOC Archaeology. We aim to find out more about the form and function of this hillfort, as well as potentially recover dating evidence that will help us to piece together a chronology of hillforts in the area. For more information about the site, please see the Canmore page here.
We would like to offer huge thanks to Historic Environment Scotland for funding this project. We would also like to thank the Woodland Trust at Glen Finglas for their support as landowners, as well as Forestry and Land Scotland for funding a drone survey of the hillfort in 2019.
If you have any questions about the excavation, please contact Ross on email@example.com.
*Please note we have received many notes of interest and this event is now oversubscribed.*
- Volunteer numbers on-site will be limited due to COVID-19 restrictions and people will be asked to work in small, socially-distanced groups wherever possible.
- Priority for spaces will go to local residents and those who can attend all 4 days of the excavation.
- All activities will be run by AOC Archaeology, with full instruction and supervision provided. No prior experience is needed.
- The foot of Dunmore hillfort is located around 15-20 minutes’ walk from Bochastle Car Park. The climb to the summit is a challenging 15-minute ascent.
- Travel expenses are available for volunteers for private mileage or public transport up to £10 per day.